Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Helloooooo it's like 2011 soon!!!

About three or four years back during Raya at my grandmother's house (father's side), we were all sitting at the dining table eating rendang with pulut. My grandmother asked me if I knew how to cook any traditional Malay food, at least how to cook rice. I'd answer truthfully, but I was very ashamed with the answer that spewed out of my mouth.

Nowadays however, I answered confidently that I don't find the big deal out of knowing to cook or not knowing how to cook. In college, it'd always be my girlfriends who do the cooking. I'll be the one loaded with junk food and semi-processed food in my locker, just ready for me to mix and match easily, no need to hassle with all the preparations and cutting and chopping and waiting. I'll be the one sleeping like a king in my secret chambers while my cooks (my gfs really) come out with a variety of gulai and lauk to eat with rice when I wake up.

And then years after that, I got myself working as a barista at a local coffee shop and I learnt a little bit of preparing delicious sandwiches (and i only knew then that dill goes best with salmon and that BLT sandwich is actually very dry) and how to concoct coffee potions for my regulars and find myself thrilled when my regulars loved what I did for them (sometimes out of my supervisor's knowledge, I'd add extra choco beans or cherries for Blackforest Blended) It was fun, really fun.

Now that I am mostly home, I could've spent some time learning how to cook my mum's delicacy - the gulai lemak daging salai negeri sembilan. But to think of it, nah, I've gotten wisdom from my bonda herself that "There's no point learning how to cook now if what you cook's just gonna be criticised by your future husband! So take time and learn how to cook from your future husband, that way you'll always always alwaayyyss cook your husband's favourite!" Way to go Mama! :D

My circadian rhythm's still fucked. I'm so sleepy now and it's only 3PM! I think it's the swimming... Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment